Public Allies was founded in 1992 by a group of young nonprofit leaders and activists. Our mission is to build a just and equitable society and the diverse leadership to sustain it. We are seeking young adults from diverse backgrounds who are ready to embrace a lifetime commitment to social justice and building a stronger Iowa.
Public Allies is a national movement committed to advancing social justice and equity by engaging the leadership capacities of young people. Des Moines Area Community College is launching Public Allies Iowa this fall, with paid apprenticeships to 15 AmeriCorps members who will dedicate 10 months of service to local nonprofits.
Program runs from September - July
- Recruitment window is Spring through the Summer.
Over a 10-month commitment, each ally:
- Serves in a paid apprenticeship at a local community organization and works to build capacity to help that organization expand its mission.
- Participates in weekly social justice leadership training and professional development workshops.
- Receives individualized coaching and support to help them reach personal and professional goals.
- Builds community with a talented and diverse network of community leaders.
- Plans and implements large-scale service projects for community members.
Nationally, Public Allies believes in the power of inclusive leadership to change our community.
- In-depth, exceptional hands-on experience serving at local community organizations
- Development and growth of values-based leadership
- Living stipend of $14,000 over 10 months
- Free basic medical and dental insurance
- Childcare (depending on household income)
- Loan forbearance, assistance with loan interests (if applicable)
- $6,095 Educational Award at completion of program
- Potential to earn college credit
for service as an Ally
Program Information Link:
To Submit an Application: apply.publicallies.org and select the upcoming service year.
Follow Public Allies on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PublicAlliesIowa
Evelyn Davis Staff Contact:
Jason Vang, Program Specialist
1171 7th Street
Des Moines, Iowa 50314